Moving Into The Rochester Area

Effective 12/1/2020, The Rochester Housing Authority (RHA) will be absorbing all incoming portable families.

Program Description

If you are in good standing with your current voucher administrator, you may be eligible to move into ("port in") the Rochester area with your voucher.  To start this process you must work with your current voucher administrator to have your voucher paperwork sent to our offices in care of the RHA Portability Specialist.

Participants should contact the RHA offices AFTER your current agency has sent your paperwork to us.  RHA cannot provide you with assistance until we receive the porting paperwork from the initial agency.

Once you have been informed RHA has your paperwork you should contact us to set up an appointment.  At your appointment, be prepared with birth certificates, social security cards, current income and asset documentation for all household members.

Different Housing Authorities have different rules, policies, and deadlines. There may be different payment standards, subsidy standards, and utility allowances that will effect how much you will be required to pay for rent. Your RHA Housing Specialist will discuss RHA policies and payment standards with you at your appointment.

RHA Portability Contact Information


Rochester Housing Authority
Attn: Portability Specialist
675 West Main Street
Rochester, New York 14611


Phone: (585) 697-6204

Fax: (585) 362-8653 

Helpful Resources

RHA Apartment Listing

Complexes that accept RHA Assistance