Information on Permanent Supportive Housing (formerly Shelter Plus Care)

Program Description

Permanent Supportive Housing is a grant-funded program made available through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Clients of the Rochester Housing Authority Permanent Supportive Housing program can seek, housing anywhere in Monroe County. This flexibility allows clients the opportunity to choose housing in areas where they feel safe.

RHA provides a rental subsidy to landlords on behalf of the client. Participants will pay 30% of their annual income towards rent and utilities.

Who is eligible for the program?

Potential Clients must be homeless and disabled at the time of application. Sponsor Agencies can identify potential clients and refer them to a centralized waiting list. Sponsor Agencies will perform a primary assessment of an applicant’s eligibility and will provide on-going case management throughout a participant’s time on the program.

How do I apply?

Potential Clients who wish to enroll in a Permanent Supportive Housing Program must be referred to Rochester Housing Authority through the centralized waiting list. Persons should go to DHS to determine if they are eligible for shelter placement. If not, they can try to find shelters on their own, and the shelters will, in turn, refer a person to the List. Additionally, street outreach can put a person on the List if they are unsheltered.

Click here for further information regarding the Permanent Supportive Housing