The Community Choice Demonstration
The Community Choice Demonstration helps families with Housing Choice Vouchers find homes in Opportunity Areas in the Rochester region. These are neighborhoods in the Rochester Housing Authority’s five-county jurisdiction that have historically been difficult for families with vouchers to move into, either because they are outside of families’ price ranges, or because property owners are not very familiar with the voucher program. Many families with vouchers want to move into Opportunity Areas because they offer high-quality schools and other public amenities.
Families with vouchers from the Rochester Housing Authority can sign up to be selected for the program. To assist families in moving to Opportunity Areas, families receive pre- and post-move coaching. They also receive housing search assistance and financial assistance to help cover the security deposit and some other move-related expenses.
Rochester Housing Authority has also taken steps to ensure the rental ceiling standard for homes in the Opportunity Areas are affordable for families and competitive for the property owners in the private rental market. Owners who rent to families receive financial incentives, including a lease-up bonus. Program staff work with families and property owners to facilitate good tenant-owner matches and positive relationships between them.
Rochester’s Community Choice Demonstration is a part of a national demonstration funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The demonstration studies the effect of additional services on families’ ability to move into Opportunity Areas. Families interested in receiving services must sign up for the study and will be randomly selected to receive services. For more information about the national demonstration, go here <https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/programs/hcv/communitychoicedemo>.
Services for Families
Families in the Community Choice Demonstration work with a Coach who will discuss your family’s housing and community needs, develop a family preparation plan, work with you to conduct your housing search, and assist you in contacting property owners.
We can only assist families in finding homes in designated Opportunity Areas, where children and families are expected to have the best opportunity to thrive.
- Pre-move support: Help with thinking through which neighborhoods are the best fit for you and your family. The program will also help you get ready to put in applications. That looks different for every family. It might mean attending one or more workshops or getting additional support from one of our partner agencies.
- Housing search assistance: Help finding properties in Opportunity Areas and owners that are willing to participate in the program.
- Move-related financial assistance: Help with paying the security deposit and some other move-related expenses.
- Faster processing: Community Choice staff will help you and the property owner fill out the paperwork and efficiently process it at the Housing Authority.
- Post-move support: Offered in the form of information and resources about your new neighborhood.
If you have a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) from Rochester Housing Authority and you are interested in the Community Choice Demonstration, email gro.gnisuohretsehcor@eciohcytinummoc <mailto:gro.gnisuohretsehcor@eciohcytinummoc>. Make sure that you will qualify for the program by looking at our eligibility guidelines here: Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) - Rochester Housing Authority <https://www.rochesterhousing.org/housing-choice-vouchers-section-8> A number of families on the wait list will also be invited to apply to participate in the Demonstration.
The Community Choice Demonstration connects families with Housing Choice Vouchers to property owners who maintain quality housing in Opportunity Areas in RHA’s five-county jurisdiction where children and families can have the best opportunity to thrive.
The Housing Choice Voucher program is a federal rental assistance program that helps low-income families find housing in the private rental market. Families with vouchers only pay a portion of their income towards their rent, and the voucher covers the rest. We make sure that the unit will be affordable for the family before reaching out to property owners.
Find out why property owners love working with the Community Choice Demonstration:
- Reliable, on-time rent payments: The Housing Authority pays their portion of the rent by check or direct deposit into your bank account.
- Lease-up bonus: Property owners who lease up with a Community Choice Demonstration client will receive a bonus in the amount of 50% of one month’s rent.
- Supported families: Tenants receive coaching to help ensure that they will make a successful transition into their new home and security deposit assistance.
- Faster processing: Community Choice staff will help you fill out the paperwork and efficiently process it at the Housing Authority.
- Asset protection: Have peace of mind when you lease-up with a program tenant knowing that you can access a Damage Mitigation Fund of up to $2,000 in the rare event that a tenant leaves their unit damaged.
- Free listing service: Fill vacancies quickly and save on advertising costs through our exclusive unit list for homes in your area.
- Rent to a family in need of a home: Families in the program are looking for homes in Opportunity Areas to give their kids the best chances at success. They need property owners, like you, who will give them a chance too.
List your eligible units today! Not sure if your unit is in an Opportunity Area? Check IT_DATA Solutions/Rochester, NY (lamapoteca.com.co) <https://lamapoteca.com.co/rochester/>. For more information, contact gro.gnisuohretsehcor@eciohcytinummoc <mailto:gro.gnisuohretsehcor@eciohcytinummoc>.