Rochester Housing Authority Landlord Incentive Program
We are now offering a landlord incentive program that runs from July 1 through October 1, 2020. More than $500,000 in funds are available by Housing and Urban Development to increase participation in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program), also known as Section 8.
We need your help – the tenant, landlord and voucher payee (RHA) all have obligations and responsibilities under the HCV program. To work effectively, it requires active and willing participation from all parties. We understand and recognize that the additional requirements for landlords to accept an HCV participant can be a deterrent to accepting applications and we hope that by reducing some financial and process barriers we can help you help low-income families in need throughout our community, have a quality, safe and affordable place to live.
Security Deposit Initiative: RHA will pay the security deposit for Housing Choice Voucher participants impacted by COVID-19, to the landlord, for up to the cost of one full month of rent.
- RHA will provide a Security Deposit Agreement form for Landlord and RHA representative to sign and date.
- RHA will pay the Security Deposit for units ONLY if the eligibility criteria has been met.
- The security deposit paid on the behalf of the participant is refundable only to RHA at time of participant move out if it is determined that there is no participant caused damages beyond normal wear and tear.
- A landlord wishing to place a claim against the security deposit upon a participant moving out of unit must:
- Provide pictures of any participant-caused damages
- Provide repair estimate including labor costs and materials
- Submit pictures, inspection report, and claim form within 30 days after participants move from the unit
Leasing Up Bonus: RHA will offer a bonus to landlords when they lease a new unit to a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participant. New landlords will be eligible to receive a one-time $1,000 bonus payment per unit and existing landlords will be eligible to receive a one-time $500 bonus payment per new unit leased, with a limit of five qualifying units per landlord. Bonus to be paid upon participant moving into the unit.
Rehabilitation Cost Recovery Plan: RHA will reimburse landlords for between $300 - $1,000 for vendor services used to conduct repairs or improvements to a Section 8 housing unit. A receipt must be provided to RHA by the landlord to demonstrate the cost and completion of work to the unit. Once the unit passes inspection and the HCV Participant moves into the unit, reimbursement can occur. At the inspection, an RHA Inspector will perform a cost estimate for the repairs. A set maximum dollar amount of what we will pay will be identified and an agreement will be created for RHA and the landlord to sign.
Lead Clearance or Testing Costs: RHA will reimburse a landlord up to $500 per unit, in which, an RHA HQS Move-in inspection requires Lead Clearance or testing. A passed Lead Clearance test is required along with lease-up of an HCV participant.
Interested property owners can learn more about this program contact RHA’s Office of Leasing Operations at (585) 697-6105.
Want to become an RHA landlord? It’s easy. If you have, or will have an apartment available for rent, simply click here to sign up and begin listing your available apartment units online or by calling 1-866-466-7328 or via email at moc.8noitcesotog@troppusdroldnal. (use info on the website already - https://www.rochesterhousing.org/landlords )