Instead of using the the family's voucher subsidy to help with rent, the RHA Homeownership Voucher Program provides the opportunity for existing voucher holders to utilize their voucher subsidy to purchase a home and pay for monthly homeownership expenses.
Upon becoming eligible for a mortgage and purchasing a house, RHA will make monthly mortgage assistance payments on behalf of the family. The amount of this assistance (similar to the rental program) is based upon the family's income.
Who is eligible for the program?
In order to qualify for the Homeownership Program, a family must meet the following general requirements:
- The family must be a current participant in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- The family must qualify as a first time home buyer.
- The family must meet other eligibility requirements of the Homeownership voucher program.
- The family must meet mortgage eligibility requirements.
- The family must complete an RHA approved home buyers course.
- There are additional eligibility requirements that would be reviewed with the family during the intake process.
How do I apply?
The RHA Homeownership Voucher program is currently closed and is not accepting new applications.