Shelter Plus Care is a special program funded by grants made available through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Clients of Shelter Plus Care are able to seek housing anywhere in Monroe County. This flexibility allows clients the opportunity to choose housing in areas where they feel safe and comfortable. The Rochester Housing Authority provides a rental subsidy to landlords on behalf of the client. Participants will pay 30% of their annual income towards rent and utilities.
Who is eligible for the program?
Potential clients must be homeless and disabled at the time of application. Sponsor Agencies identify potential clients and refer them through their program. Please see below for a list of all sponsoring agencies.
How do I apply?
Participants who wish to enroll in the Shelter Plus Care program must be referred to the Rochester Housing Authority by one of the various sponsoring agencies within the Rochester community. Sponsoring agencies will perform a primary assessment of the participant’s eligibility.
To apply, you may contact:
- The Salvation Army (585) 987-9500 (Chronically Homeless Only)
- Veterans Outreach (585) 506-9060 Toll-Free 866-906-VETS (8387)
- Unity Health (585) 368-3720 (Chronically Homeless Only)
- Strong Ties (585) 279-4900
- Monroe County Department of Human Services (585) 753-6045
- Sojourner House (585) 436-7100
- Judicial Process Commission (585) 325-7727
- East House (585) 238-4850
- SPOA (585) 753-2879 (Chronically Homeless Only)
- Volunteers of America (585) 402-7410
- Spiritus Christi Prison Outreach (585) 288-0504
- Hillside (585) 654-4469
- Path stone (585) 436-7100
- Providence (585) 328-3228